20 years ago I used to love painting "little metal men" and playing the very first edition of what was to become the hugely successful Warhammer 40K game, so recently I decided to revisit my youth. So far this has consisted of going out and buying some minis, and then wonderful-wife going out and buying ALL THE MINIS IN THE WORLD, and a selection of paints and brushes. With a couple of hours each weekend to paint them, this is going to take a while. There they sit in the corner now... looking at me... judging me... Anyway, one thing that I've found motivational is the wealth of pictures and "how to" guides on other painters' blogs, so I decided to post some of my own humble efforts here. Hope you like 'em.

Monday 7 June 2010

Landspeeder storm!

Phew, what a complicated little model! - Way more work than a tank, but enjoyable. I found out to my cost that painting every little bit before you assemble is a good idea, particularly on something with so many fiddly little nooks and crannies. This model isn't some clever addition to my Eagle Warriors' arsenal with a purpose - I just bought it because I think it looks SO COOL.

Anyway, this weekend I also managed to have a go with the posh DSLR camera that I have borrowed, so here's a first attempt at some better (ish) photography... Basically this the camera used straight out of the box without any special settings applied or any post-processing, but certainly better than the little low-res point-and-shoot:

...and here's another shot trying to focus on the front and blurring out the back which I think worked out quite well:



One thing I noticed from doing the shot above is that if you have the camera really close to the subject you get this slective focus effect, but if you pull back and take the shot from a distance then you get a more open "everything in focus" look. I'm a complete novice at photography so any pointers you might have would be very helpful - please leave a comment if you've got any tips for me - ta.
Here's a couple more pics:




...and finally, our old friend the black reach dreadnought again, some slightly better pics than the previous ones:





Next time I'll have a crack at some infantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment